A super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter for superior agility and performance
Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, a super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter, compatible with Nikon FX-format digital SLR cameras.
The NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is a super-telephoto zoom lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths – from 180mm to 400mm – when used with an FX-format camera. In addition, the NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is the first NIKKOR lens for Nikon SLR cameras to be equipped with a teleconverter. This built-in 1.4x teleconverter enables extension of the maximum focal length to 560mm.
The NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR has been designed to be user friendly and to adapt to the demands of professional shooting of locations and situations. The teleconverter switch can be operated easily while gripping the camera, allowing immediate switching from the 180-400mm range of focal lengths to the 252-560mm range while looking through the viewfinder. Allowing users to shoot without interference and without interruption has been taken into consideration with the design of the lens. For example, bearings have been adopted for the tripod collar ring, enabling smooth transition between horizontal and vertical shooting orientation, and the zoom ring has been positioned for easy operation while the user holds onto the tripod collar. The lens’ lightweight body allows for greater agility with a weight of approximately 3.5kg (7lb 11.4oz) – even with its built-in teleconverter – as well as superior dust and drip resistance and dirt repellency.
The lens is constructed with the latest optical design that includes the use of one fluorite lens element and eight ED glass elements for extremely sharp and detailed rendering that is compatible with high-pixel-count digital cameras beginning at maximum aperture. In addition, the use of Nano Crystal Coat and other anti-reflective coatings effectively suppresses ghost and flare for extremely clear images.
The algorithm that controls motor drive, implemented on the NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, has also been enhanced for better AF tracking performance. Furthermore, the lens is equipped with a Vibration Reduction (VR) mechanism that provides camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop* increase in shutter speed in NORMAL mode, either with or without the use of the built-in teleconverter. The VR modes include SPORT mode that enables photography of sporting events and other moving subjects with a stable viewfinder image.
The NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR effectively supports the active super-telephoto shooting demanded by professionals who photograph action from a distance, such as for field sports, with superior agility and operation, and the latest optical performance.
- Super-telephoto zoom lens with coverage of a broad range of focal lengths beginning at 180mm and extending to 560mm when the built-in 1.4x teleconverter is used
- Built-in 1.4x teleconverter which can easily be activated or deactivated while looking through the viewfinder
- Tripod collar ring that enables smooth switching between horizontal and vertical orientation
- Zoom ring that is easily operated while holding onto the tripod collar
- Adoption of a fluorite lens element and magnesium alloy has achieved a light weight of approximately 3,500g/7lb 11.4oz
- Dust- and drip-resistant structure that prevents dust and drops of water from entering the lens
- Nikon’s exclusive highly durable fluorine coating that effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt
- The latest optical design that includes the use of one fluorite lens element and eight ED glass elements for extremely sharp and detailed rendering that is compatible with high-pixel-count digital cameras
- The latest optical design and the use of Nano Crystal Coat enable clear images in which ghost and flare are effectively suppressed
- High maximum reproduction ratios with close-up shooting at telephoto positions (0.25x when the built-in teleconverter is not used, 0.36x when activated)
- The exclusive design of this lens with a built-in teleconverter ensures optimal optical and AF performance
- The VR mechanism offers camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop* increase in shutter speed in NORMAL mode; users can choose from NORMAL and SPORT modes
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that enables stable exposure control
* Based on CIPA Standards. When a digital SLR camera equipped with a full-size, 35mm film equivalent image sensor is used. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The new NIKKOR AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is available from March 2018.
I AM Peace of Mind
When you buy from a Nikon Authorised Reseller you can be 100% certain that the product lives up to Nikon’s high standards, and will be supported by Nikon’s local warranty service for up to 2 years. This means that in the unlikely event there is a problem with your Nikon product, it will be repaired by a fully qualified and experienced Nikon technician, using only genuine, brand new parts. For more information visit www.mynikonlife.com.au/buy/benefits-of-buying-local.
About the NIKKOR brand
NIKKOR is Nikon’s brand of photographic lenses. The NIKKOR name arose from adding “r”, a common practice in the naming of photographic lenses at the time the name was established, to “Nikko”, the Romanized abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku K.K., the original name used when the company was established.
In July 2016, Nikon announced its milestone achievement of 100 million in total production of NIKKOR lenses for Nikon interchangeable lens cameras.
Nikon’s line-up of lenses for cameras with interchangeable lenses currently consists of more than 90 types of lenses, including ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses, fisheye lenses, zoom lenses, micro lenses, and PC-E lenses that support a wide variety of applications, as well as 1 NIKKOR lenses for advanced camera with interchangeable lenses. More information and contents on NIKKOR lenses is also available with the NIKKOR & ACC app.
About I AM | MY NIKKOR
Every photographer has a story to tell. Enter a world shaped by the creative vision and expression of Nikon photographers. Visit I AM | MY NIKKOR to be inspired by their passion and adventures, and let NIKKOR connect you with the culture of photography.
Nikon 100 Year Anniversary
Since the company was established in 1917, Nikon has cultivated its status as a pioneer of optical technologies in Japan and overseas. Guided by our corporate philosophy of “Trustworthiness and Creativity,” we provide a wide range of technologies, products and services globally by harnessing our advanced technologies, the core of which encompasses opto-electronics and precision technologies. We are proud to celebrate our 100th anniversary in 2017.
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Australia Pty Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit www.mynikonlife.com.au. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook, on Instagram and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @Nikon_Australia.