Your favourite lens, enhanced by Z
Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S, a high-performance zoom lens compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX format) mirrorless cameras which have adopted the new larger-diameter Z mount.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S is a zoom lens that, when used with a full-frame (FX-format) camera, covers a convenient standard zoom range beginning at the wide-angle 24mm and ending at the mid-telephoto 70mm, all with a constant fast maximum aperture of f/2.8. This high-performance lens is part of the S-Line, a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adhere to a new benchmark in optical performance, creating new definitions of design principles and quality control.
Images by Daniel Kordan
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S demonstrates excellent resolving power that maximises the potential of high pixel-count digital cameras like the Z 7, which has an effective pixel count of 45.7 megapixels. Colour fringing is significantly minimised with the beautiful, large, natural bokeh unique to the f/2.8 aperture, which makes the lens perfect for shooting highly-rendered photographs in a variety of scenes, such as portraits and landscapes, from the maximum aperture of f/2.8. Furthermore, the combination of the larger Z mount with its inner diameter of 55 mm, and a short flange focal distance of 16 mm has allowed the lens to achieve superior optical performance, as well as compactness and lightness for excellent portability. It also offers outstanding movie recording performance with focus breathing control and quiet operation.
A multi-focusing system has been adopted as the AF drive system, contributing to a precise and fast AF, enabling the lens to achieve superior image-forming performance at any focus distance, including close-up shooting. Multiple focusing lens groups are driven by multiple AF actuators. As a result, focusing group position is controlled with great precision for superior resolving power with very little aberration, even when shooting at close distances.
Images by Daniel Kordan
In addition, the optics which is comprised of two ED glass and four aspherical lens elements utilise not only Nikon’s conventional Nano Crystal Coat, but also a newly developed anti-reflective coating known as ARNEO Coat. ARNEO Coat is most effective at minimising reflections of light passing perpendicularly through the lens, and its use in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coat ensures consistent and incredibly low reflection throughout the entire spectrum of visible light.
The lens barrel features functionality unique to higher-class models of the NIKKOR Z S-Line. In addition to a control ring, an independent focus ring has been added, enabling an ever-more comfortable operation. Also incorporated are an L-Fn (lens function) button which enhances convenience by allowing an increased number of functions that can be assigned, and a lens information panel that permits users to check a variety of functions without looking into the viewfinder. Furthermore, the adoption of a felt lining for the lens hood in addition to the lens barrel, contributes to delivering clear rendering by effectively reducing light reflection inside the hood.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S maximises the benefits of the new system by providing outstanding optical performance, support for a broad range of focal lengths, superior operation, and advanced specifications, all within a compact and lightweight body that is extremely portable. This incredible versatility allows users to enjoy recording of high-quality stills and movies of any scene.
The announcement comes as Nikon today announced the development of new firmware for the Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6. The firmware in development includes new functions for the Z 7 and Z 6, such as Eye-Detection AF, RAW video output, and support for CFexpress memory cards. More information on the firmware can be found here:
Images by Daniel Kordan
• Support for the wide-angle 24 mm to mid-telephoto 70 mm range of focal lengths convenient for capturing a wide variety of scenes.
• A constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range maintains exposure settings while the zoom function is in use.
• A multi-focusing system adopted as the AF drive system dramatically reduces aberrations for excellent image-forming performance at any focus distance, and superior resolving power when shooting at close distances.
• A minimum focus distance of just 0.38 m from the focal plane across the zoom range.
• Optics comprising of two ED glass and four aspherical lens elements ensure excellent resolution, across all edges of the frame, from maximum aperture.
• The combination of Nikon’s exclusive coating technologies, including the new ARNEO Coat and Nano Crystal Coat, effectively suppresses ghost and flare for clear images.
• An extremely high standard of image quality supported within a compact and lightweight body, enabling superior portability.
• Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also for focus shift shooting.
• A control ring that demonstrates superior operability with quiet and smooth operation.
• A convenient L-Fn (lens function) button to which more functions can be assigned.
• A lens information panel that can be used to check aperture setting, focus distance, depth of field, etc.
• Adoption of a multi-focusing system and stepping motor (STM) enables fast, quiet, and accurate AF drive with both still-image and movie recording.
• Designed with consideration to dust-and-drip resistance, featuring a fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt.
• An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables extremely precise aperture control.
Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Australia Pty Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit www.Nikon.com.au. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook and Instagram and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @Nikon_Australia.