Nikon Australia announces the release of four new products; the COOLPIX W300 and three NIKKOR lenses including the AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, AF-S Fisheye 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED and AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED.
Made for the great outdoors: COOLPIX W300 is ready for adventures
The new Nikon COOLPIX compact camera goes down to the sea with a waterproof depth of 30m, survives falls of up to 2.4m, weathers the cold temperatures down to -10°C, and manages a dustproof ruggedness to get right into those adrenaline-filled quests
The release of the high-performance and tough COOLPIX W300 has been announced by Nikon Australia Pty. Ltd. today. Waterproof down to 30m and withstanding shock from falls as high as 2.4m, the new COOLPIX is ready for greater performance in both form and function with the inclusion of 4K UHD movie recording capability.
“Fitting right into the traveller’s backpack in a compact and durable form is the new W300 with its extensive range of functions. The camera compatibly gets into action in the terrains of land and water with its waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and cold-resistant properties. It is ready to tough it out to preserve your moments in both quality stills and 4K UHD videos,” said James Murray, Managing Director, Nikon Australia Pty Ltd.
COOLPIX W300 Primary Features
- Trusted companion on land and in water: For those with a recreational diver’s license equivalent to the PADI’s Advanced Open Water Diver license, the W300 goes down to depths of 30m without needing a separate underwater housing to provide users the delight of capturing photos and videos of the fascinating marine life. The shockproof characteristic that is popular with its predecessor, the COOLPIX AW130 has also been improved to withstand falls from up to 2.4m. The camera’s tough body is designed not only to withstand temperatures as cold as −10°C, but also to resist dust and sand.
Equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24mm to telephoto 120mm1 and a maximum aperture of f/2.8, the camera is also engineered with Dynamic Fine Zoom2 which supports zooming up to approximately 10x. An effective pixel count of approximately 16.0 megapixels3, a backside illumination CMOS sensor and high-performance vibration reduction (VR) function further enables striking captures of the intended subject with effective reduction of blur caused by camera shake or subject movement, be it underwater or while engaged in outdoor activities.
- Defining the outdoors in motion: Record stunning sunrises from the hilltop, or the starry night sky by the campfire with the support for 4K UHD (3840×2160)/30p movie recording. When going underwater and facing different lighting environments, the exposure can be locked with the AE lock function so a diver can easily focus on framing the perfect shot without worry. The W300 is also equipped with functions for recording not only time-lapse movies, but also superlapse movies.
- Tools of the adventurer: With an elegant and stylish design that looks great to use around town, improvements to features such as the grip and shutter-release button further make the COOLPIX W300 easy to operate, even when wearing gloves. It is also equipped with a new LED light button for convenient back-up lighting when preparing to take pictures or record movies in dark surroundings.
Enriching the outdoor life experience is the new Active Guide feature. By simply pressing the tool button on the side of the camera, information such as location data and altitude (water depth4) will be shown. Altitude or water depth logs can also be displayed as graphs. In addition, add verified location data to photos and movies after they are recorded.
- Support for SnapBridge, which enables simple upload of images to social media
- Pre-focus and Target finding autofocus (AF) that support smooth and comfortable shooting
- A variety of scene modes in which the camera automatically applies the appropriate settings
- Creative mode that makes the ideal imaging expression simple
- Available in colours of camouflage, orange, yellow, and black
1 Equivalent focal lengths in 35mm  format.
2 The zoom ratio indicated for Dynamic Fine Zoom is the combined ratio of optical zoom from the maximum wide-angle position and digital zoom.
3 May be reduced with image processing.
4 When Underwater scene mode is selected, and when the camera automatically recognises that it is under water in Auto mode.
The COOLPIX W300 will be available from June 2017.
New NIKKOR lenses to capture your world in its entirety
Offering enhanced perspectives to inspire and enable photographers in the pursuit of imaging perfection, the AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, AF-S Fisheye 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED and AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED are the newest additions to the extensive array of NIKKOR lenses. The trio of lenses announced today by Nikon Australia Pty Ltd., include a fisheye zoom and two wide-angle lenses.
The AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR made for visual aesthetes on the go packs superior optical performance into a compact, lightweight body for exquisite wide-angle and close-up shots. Photographers looking for an added creative edge can turn to the AF-S Fisheye 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED, a fisheye zoom lens that delivers remarkable interpretations of a scene and offers a distinct perspective to photographers. Rounding off with the AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED, landscapes and portraits are replicated in their true form, offering an angle of view similar to that of the human eye.
“With over 90 types of NIKKOR lenses to provide photographers great flexibility in choice of angle, range and type, these three new dedicated lenses are just as capable of capturing splendid scenes in their full natural brilliance. These lenses are set to enrich the image creation experience for the visionary photographer. Specifically, the AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR introduces passionate DX-format photographers to the world of ultra-wide-angle and close-up shooting, with superior optical performance integrated into a compact and light form,” says James Murray, Managing Director, Nikon Australia Pty Ltd. “Nikon continually seeks to enhance the photography experience for its users, and we have engineered these lenses to work seamlessly with our latest Nikon DSLR cameras.”
AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Primary Features
- Ultra-wide, ultra-clear: The AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, with a 10-20mm1 focal length range transforms wide, sweeping scenes into extraordinary visuals. Three aspherical lens elements are packed into a significantly lighter and more compact form correcting distortion and other types of aberrations even at the periphery. NIKKOR’s very own built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) function delivers an effect equivalent to a shutter speed of 3.5 stops faster2 or tack-sharp images and improved on-the-go shooting.
Go up close for dramatic, creative perspectives with the lens’ close-up shooting capabilities, featuring a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.17x and a minimum focus distance of 0.22m3 for exceptional images. Featuring a stepping motor and a smooth focus ring that is easy to control, this new ultra-wide-angle DX-format lens delivers an improved seamless autofocus performance. Embracing remarkable visual narration, the AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR presents photographers the perfect blend of technical innovation and performance.
AF-S Fisheye 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED Primary Features
- Dare to be different: See faces and places with a dramatic view; 180° in circular and full-frame effects4. The AF-S Fisheye 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED is the first NIKKOR fisheye zoom lens with a high-performing and versatile lens for creative and elaborate imagery. Edge-to-edge clarity is promised even at a minimum focus distance of 0.16m, which means that photographers can approach their subjects up-close without compromising on quality and detail at the periphery. The lens adopts two aspherical lens elements to effectively reduce sagittal coma flare, enhancing the accurate reproduction of point light sources located at the peripheries, even with the lens’ aperture set to the maximum. Scenic and expressive landscapes are reproduced with sharp and clear rendering thanks to the inclusion of Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements that minimise colour fringing caused by lateral chromatic aberration. This is paired with Nano Crystal Coat which effectively reduces flare and ghosting, reproducing splendid sunsets easily with the click of a shutter.
Attachment and removal of the lens hood and cap can be done together or separately, enabling quick responses to capture the fleeting moments. Realising the form of a highly agile and durable body protected with a fluorine coat for easy maintenance, this new NIKKOR fisheye zoom lens is perfect for the artist looking to challenge visual boundaries.
AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED Primary Features
- Beautiful, broad and brilliant perspectives: The new AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED presents an ideal 28mm5 focal length for portraits and landscapes, with an angle of view similar to that of a human eye allowing photographers to reproduce the world as they see it. Incredible optical performance comes to life with the incorporation of two ED glass elements which help to reduce colour fringing caused by axial chromatic aberration. In addition, this lens has three aspherical lens elements to effectively reduce sagittal coma flare. Allowing for point light sources at the periphery to be reproduced as point images, even at the maximum aperture. These incorporations translate into high-resolution images stably across the entire frame at any aperture and natural bokeh characteristics without double line bokeh.
An essential feature of the AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED, the Nano Crystal Coat not only eliminates ghosting and flare but acts as an anti-reflective mechanism, removing unnecessary flare from glass or reflective surfaces for defined images. Also equipped with a focus ring that rotates smoothly with just the right amount of resistance, the lens offers a convenient and smooth operation when focusing manually. Complete with a fluorine coat applied to the extreme front and rear lenses to repel dust, water and dirt, this lens is the capable companion that answers the imaging needs of professional photographers and advanced amateurs shooting in both FX- and DX-format.
1 When attached to a DX-format digital SLR, the effective angle of view is equivalent to that of a 15-30mm lens in FX/35mm (135) format
2 Based on CIPA standards. When a Nikon DX-format digital SLR camera is used. Measured at the maximum telephoto position
3 AF is available even at a shooting distance of 0.22m
4 The circular fisheye effect provides a maximum 180° wide-angle position vertically and horizontally with FX-format DSLRs. Full-frame fisheye effect is available at telephoto end, but the angle of view is slightly smaller, at 175°.
The full-frame fisheye effect provides a 180° of view from the telephoto end of the lens with FX-format DSLRs and from the DX mark with DX-format DSLRs. DX-mark is the mark on the focal length scale that enables diagonal fisheye shooting in DX format. Angle of view is 180° from wide-angle end to around DX mark (approx. 11 mm on focal length scale), but it gradually becomes smaller as the focal length gets longer
5 When attached to a DX-format digital SLR, the effective angle of view is equivalent to that of a 42mm lens in FX/35mm (135) format