Winners of the 'From the Hip' Assignment
What’s your take on ‘Street Style’? This was the inspiration for the ‘From the Hip’ assignment, and the My Nikon Life community responded with an impressive range of entries: from studio shoots to Sartorialist-style submissions. Entrants were invited to upload up to 5 images which showed their unique interpretation of street style.
To celebrate the Nikon and Melbourne Spring Fashion Week partnership, the winners each receive the ultimate fashion photography experience:
- Access to the behind the scenes media area at Melbourne Town Hall and the City Square Activation Hub for one day of Melbourne Spring Fashion Week 2010.
- Access to the Lunch Series Parade and the Designer Series Parade of the selected day of Melbourne Spring Fashion Week 2010, escorted by a photographer selected by Nikon Australia.
- Access to the media risers at these parades with their photographer escort.
- Access to a Nikon School session at the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week 2010 City Square Activation Hub.
- Access to the Red Carpet Media area at the official 2010 Melbourne Spring Fashion Week Opening Party.
- A double pass to the official 2010 Melbourne Spring Fashion Week Opening Party and one Partner event at the discretion of City of Melbourne.
My Nikon Life and Melbourne Spring Fashion Week are proud to announce the two winners:
“Smile” by Jerwin2032
Contrasting those is Jerwin2032’s striking use of light, contrast and colour. In each of his pictures, colour is king. With hot pink pants and matching lips, angels wings and vivid red the photos all jump off the page. Four of the pictures make the street a part of the story. Jerwin2032 has creatively pulled the viewer in with those great photo techniques of eye contact, and framing. This time though our framing comes from the intelligent use of zoom and tilt shift style blurring. These pictures punchy contrast give that impression of unique, sharp styles all made sharper by the streetscapes used.
bridgette by alpal
Alpal did a great job of capturing urban cool. Individual looks were well presented with the added bonus of copy to give us the rag-mag feel. Her compositions were nicely balanced and her use of available light was just right. Without any over styling the pictures stand up as a great example of showing her subjects style without them dominating the pictures. These are great environment pictures that tell the story they were meant to street style.
StephanieBarlow-3.jpg by stephbarlow
‘Not so blonde anymore’ by ebonybejah
Alley by shelluby
The winners, Jerwin2032 and alpal, plus the highly commended entrants stephbarlow, ebonybejah and shelluby all win a double pass the premiere screening of Christian Blanchard’s short film Animalia. Here’s a sneak peek:
Thank you to everyone that entered the competition – there were many outstanding entries. Keep your eyes open for the next My Nikon Life assignment to win yourself some fantastic prizes!